Saturday 3 March 2018

Lent - Finding Joy



Through this time of Lent, I am striving somewhat more than usual to be intentional with my day and my time.  This doesn't mean it is glamorous, but I am seeking the joy in the ups and downs.  I thought I'd share a common day with you.  Let me reiterate again, it does not always FEEL joyful, trust that these moments are meaningful and contributing to the Kingdom of God, despite how mundane they may feel.

I awaken to a pitter patter of feet down the hall and a little body climbing into bed to snuggle me close.  My early riser is up, and the day has begun.  There is a clock in their room with a sun that comes up when it is wake-up time, but when this one is up, that is is.  He attempts to be "quiet" but plays and sings and moves all around next to me, until I finally rouse myself out of dreamland.
I stumble to the kitchen to put on the kettle for coffee, first priority.  He turns on all the lights and picks up a toy and starts to play.  His brother is usually right behind him, although sometimes he likes to stay in bed a bit longer and sometimes he actually sleeps in.  Those quiet mornings are precious.  I enjoy the mornings, especially if it happens that I am the first one awake (which is very rare!).   I put away the dishes from the night before and start getting breakfast ready for hungry little bodies, while I eagerly wait for the whistle of the kettle.  I grind the coffee, pour the water, and impatiently wait 4 minutes till I can plunge the press down and enjoy that first sip of hot coffee, with cream and sugar, of course.

We sit down to breakfast together.  Well, they sit and eat, and I sip my coffee while reading their daily Devotional and answering questions: "Mom, does God ever come down from heaven?"  "What about Kaya when she does bad things mom... does God forgive her?"  "Will Kaya be in heaven with us?"  I spoon feed one child like a baby, as he is not a breakfast lover (unlike MJ and me) and too antsy to sit still to finish his porridge.  Then I send them on their way to play while I sit to quickly eat my now-tepid breakfast, top of my coffee and read my personal Devotional before getting to the dishes.  I take a moment to thank God for this day and pray that my life will be honoring to Him, even if it is just doing dishes and giving hugs.

I get them dressed.  We brush teeth.  We pack snacks and backpacks for the day, whatever it holds.  I sit them down to watch a "learning show" (any show with somewhat of an educational piece, more than just pure entertainment) while I hop in the shower and get myself ready.  We head out on an adventure...The park, the beach, the school (StrongStart program), or just for groceries and errands.  These times are treasured.  When we are out of the house and doing things together is when they are the most behaved and enjoyable.  That brings me joy and peace.

We are home for lunch. I prepare a balanced meal and they eat their veggies.  This makes me proud.  We do a quick activity after lunch, working on tracing their alphabet letters.  We practice the sounds of some letters.  I send them to their room for mandatory "quiet time" to give myself a needed break from the noise and their needs (not that quiet time actually ends up being quiet, but at least they're behind a closed door).  I clean up the dishes and do a mid-day clean, then make myself more coffee or tea and sit to check my email (or write a blog!).  They come in and out a few times, need help in the bathroom, and I can't really focus on a specific task.  I change laundry, empty backpacks, start prep for dinner, and make a quick batch of muffins in the blender.  There's a knock at the door and a lady has come to pick up some clothes I had advertised for sale on the kids swap site. The kids hear and come out to see the excitement (lol).  After that there is no getting them back to their room.  We clean up together and I give them a snack and let them watch one more show today, since their quiet time was quite vibrant and imaginative and they need some actual rest for their bodies.  I had planned to do a home workout, but I'm a bit tired from some wake-ups in the night and may be fighting a bug, so I decide to hold off for a walk until Daniel is home.  I send the kids to the backyard so I can finish preparing dinner, knowing that I will be interrupted with breaking up fights, and requests to watch a "cool move" and the like.

Dan comes home.  I gladly leave the kids in his care and take my dog across the street to the trail that leads to the ocean.  I walk this trail every week.  I love the familiarity and seeing the changes as the weather and the seasons change around me.  I am alone with my thoughts and the fresh air (even the rain) refreshes me as I gear up for the last "shift" of the day.  I come home and we sit down to supper together.  I am starving and eat heartily, while encouraging those around me to eat up too.  After dinner its the usual tasks: dishes, bathtime, clean up toys, sweep the floor, and the familiar bedtime routine.  Once they're tucked in bed, Daniel usually settles them with back rubs while I finish up the last of the chores.  The house is quiet.  The house is still.  I put on my comfy pants (if I haven't yet already) and make a cup of tea.  I sit down, not planning to get up again for the night.  I read, check email and Facebook, watch a couple of shows, play a game of Scrabbe online.  By 10pm I'm ready to tuck into bed.  As soon as my head hits the pillow, I am pretty much out for the night, save for a midnight waking to do another tuck in and sing a lullabye.

These days home alone with the kids are sometimes the most exhausting and draining.  Yet they are also the most precious.  I've always been a home-body.  I love making my house into a home.  I love the life that occurs in a home.  I know that I will treasure many of these times I have with my children.  At times I get frustrated beyond belief, yet I don't want these days to end.  It's such a strange dynamic.  As the countdown to kindergarten gets closer, I am aware that this time in my life is coming to an end.  All that I want is to enjoy these moments I have.


2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this! Very much like my life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Except you have double the amount of "trouble" to deal with AND you homeschool too. That is beyond my imagination haha.

      Delete