Wednesday 14 February 2018

For My Boys


Happy Valentine's Day!  While today is a day for lovers, I couldn't help but showcase some of the love I have for the boys in my life. 


RJK  - My Firstborn


Today is Valentine's Day.  We don't usually go big to celebrate, but my hubby buys me flowers (not on the day of - we are too thrifty for that) or chocolate and we spend time together doing something special.  So, yesterday he came home with a big bouquet, which the kids were excited to see.

I realize that sometimes I "over-explain" concepts to them that they can't quite understand, and today was one of those days.  I was telling them why dad had bought me flowers and that on Valentine's Day people who are married do things to show their love for one another.  (I'll disclaim this conversation to say that this was at the end of a very long day, and it was past bedtime, and the boys were already overtired.)

RJ immediately bursts into tears and asks, "Well, do you still love ME mommy?"  Somehow, his mind can't understand how I can love daddy AND him at the same time.  This conversation carries until bedtime when he starts talking about being married and tells me he wants to marry me.  I tell him that he can't because I am already married to daddy.  Cue the crocodile tears once again!  I try to tell him that when he gets older he will be able to choose who he wants to marry, and that they will be best friends, and that he will love them like daddy loves me.  The tears aren't stopping and he starts listing all his worries such as, "I don't want to marry someone I don't know.  I won't like them.  They can't wear the pretty dress (I think he is referring to my wedding dress)"

Finally I find a way to reassure him of my love for him and settle him into bed and lay with him rubbing his back until he finally falls asleep.

I guess this is an improvement from the days where he claimed he only wanted to marry his brother.... or the dog...

There really is nothing like a little boy's love for his mommy. <3

MJK - My sweetheart

The kids are still learning the concept of time, so when they have trouble expressing something in terms of a long or short time.  MJ is our cuddle bear.  From the moment he was born, he has been physically attached to both of us.  He nursed more.  He always wanted to sit in my lap.  He still walks around in new places clinging onto my clothing and hiding behind my leg.  He also loves family cuddle time.  Recently when we are cuddling and he doesn't want to leave, he says, "I'm going to hug you all the way until Easter."  That's his way of saying... for a LONG time. 

We have always considered MJ to be our emotionally intelligent child.  He doesn't always know the appropriate way to express his feelings, but after he has felt any BIG emotion, he is able to talk it out and can talk about exactly what was going on.  He also is very aware of other people's emotions.  From when he was a tiny child, he could pick out people's faces and identify different emotions in the story books we read (even on animals haha).  He is highly sensitive to people being mad at him, and if there is even a hint that he will be in trouble, he immediately stops what he is doing, or bursts into tears if it is too hard for him to handle.  This is why he is our sweetheart! 

On a number of occasions, I have been blown away by him.  At times the kids make me upset (shocker, hey?) and one day I was so mad and I just sat down in the middle of the floor and started crying.  RJ was upset that I was mad and of course asked, "But you still love us mommy?" needing reassurance for himself.  MJ didn't say a word, but silently walked over to me, and stood beside me and gently put his hand on my shoulder and just kept it there until I had recovered from my moment.  It is times like that where I am just amazed at the gifts my children possess.  He can drive me crazy, but there is a gentle, sweetness of his soul, that will forever make me proud to be his mom.

DK - My One and Only


I don't even know where to start in expressing the love I have for my first love.  Don't worry... I won't get all mushy and sentimental (only a little).  I just want to take a minute to highlight some of the things I am so grateful for my husband for.   Our love has changed and evolved in 12 years of marriage, and the depth of it is just breathtaking.  The other day I was thinking about the way we both have "fought" for our love.  I don't mean that we have come to crisis moments where we thought we wouldn't make it... or that it has been a hard struggle... though of course there are ups and downs in any relationship.  I mean that we have actively chosen our commitment and our relationship ahead of other things at crucial times.  There is so much intentional choosing one another, and sometimes you have to fight to put in that effort. 

My husband chooses me in so many ways, I can't begin to name them all, but here are some of the highlights that stick out.  He is the best dad for our kids!  I know everyone says that about their dad/man, but I mean that he goes out of his way to meet our kids' needs, even when it's not convenient or comfortable for them.  He does the same for me.  He checks in on me every night if he's out late, to ask if there is anything I may need or want, and he always seeks it out, even when he's dead tired and wants to come home.  He sits with me when I want to watch a girly show, and plays his bass during the commercials until I tell him to shh when the show comes back on (lol).  He makes me and our kids laugh every single day.  No matter how stressed, or tired, or busy we are, the laughter melts away all worries.  He takes time at the end of every day to sit and listen to whatever I have to say... which sometimes can be a lot when I'm home with the kids all day and just need an adult to listen to ME!  He just is always THERE! 

So there you have it.  I'm such a lucky woman to be surrounded by all these wonderful boys. 




No comments:

Post a Comment