Wednesday 8 June 2016

Currently reading


When I have spare time (what's that you ask???), one of my favorite pasttimes is reading.  It is hard to pick up a book and read and read and read like I used to, with little ones around, though I am carving out bits and pieces of time more and more lately.  I used to cozy up in a comfy place with a snack and a cup of tea and read for hours.  Now, I sneak in moments here and there reading articles I come across online, or tuck into bed with a book before closing my eyes to sleep.  Some are funny and give me a chuckle to get through the day, some are topics I scour the internet for advice on, and some are touching and moving in the throes of the difficult times of motherhood.  Most of them are centered on parenting/motherhood, because that is what I do with 100% of my time these days.  Feel free to skip on over if you're not interested.

If you are in a scrolling along, reading kind of mood, here are a few places online I have been reading lately.

1. Excuse me while I lather my child in this toxic death cream
This is not actually about sunscreen, but rather how overwhelming it can be to be a mother in this day and age

2. Toddlers Are Dictators
Just as it sounds

3. How to teach the non-conforming child
A nice read on changing the teaching style to fit the kid, when necessary

4. Managing your toddler: Tantrums
Because.... yes

5. Parenting the highly sensitive boy
A great read for anyone who spends time with kids in general

I have also picked up a few books in the last few months and was surprised that I was actually able to finish reading them... something that hasn't happened in a long time.  So if you're looking for something bigger to read, here are the books I have enjoyed:

1. For the Love by Jen Hatmaker
A great, easy read, on allowing grace to enter your life, rather than comparison and rules and rigidity in this day and age.  (It's a Christian book, as a head's up)

2. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
A delightful little love story

3. The Woefield Poultry Collective by Susan Juby
A funny (laugh out loud) story about a New York girl trying to make her way on a farm in Vancouver Island

4. Missional Motherhood by Gloria Furman
I haven't read this yet, but am waiting on it to come in for a fresh perspective on bringing the Gospel into motherhood.

So there you have it!  Anything good on your summer reading bucket list?  

No comments:

Post a Comment