Tuesday 14 November 2017

We are FOUR!



The goal of reaching the magic age of 4, has been on my horizon for, well, the last four years.  When the twins were little, every veteran twin mom we met would say the words, "Just wait until they are 4.  That's where the good times begin."  Of course, there have been good times before this point, but there is something about the development of twins and how they learn independence and to play with each other, that makes the age of 4 the best yet.  We are still getting to that point lol.  There are some glimpses of that magic, but there also are still power struggles, tantrums, tears and fights. 


Still, my four-year olds are intelligent, witty, humorous and creative.  Our days are full of all sorts of adventure and excitement.  My favorite thing right now is watching their minds turn, and suck in information from all over the place!  To give you a glimpse, I made note of all the types of conversations that took place over the past week... some of them catching me way off guard. 

We were out for a walk (where most conversation happens) and I was telling the boys a story about when I was in New York a long time ago. 
MJ: Was I there mommy?
Me: No, you weren't born yet.
MJ: Was I a baby in your tummy?
Me: No... um... you were still eggs in mommy's body.
RJ: EGGS!?!?  We were EGGS??? 
Me: Well, yeah, before you were babies you were eggs in mommy's body.
RJ: (Bursts out laughing) We were eggs just like dinosaurs??? Hahahha... that's hilarious!  Eggs.
We all laugh.
I still don't know if he believes me about being an egg...  I'm just glad the conversation didn't go into any more questions haha.  I wasn't ready for that one yet!

We were shopping at the grocery store and there were Veterans selling poppies.  I gave the boys money and we picked out some.  Naturally, the boys wanted to know what the poppies were for.  I started to give them a description of Remembrance Day, kind of fumbling on the words of how to describe war to 4-year olds. 
Me: Well a long time ago there were some wars where people were fighting about which land belonged to who, kind of like when you two fight over your toys. 
RJ: So there were bad guys and good guys?
Me: Well, sort of.... (No clue what to say????).  But the fighting got so big that everyone in the whole world was involved fighting and a lot of people got hurt. 
RJ: Was it kind of like when Jesus died on the cross to help save everyone???
Me: Yes, Jesus died on the cross to help everyone who is bad and help people who got hurt (???) 
RJ: But why are there flowers???
Me: Make up a quick answer and gonna leave that conversation there. 

At church, MJ didn't want to go to his class and joined me for the sermon.  He's sitting, coloring, and Dan puts on his preaching voice and starts preaching
MJ: Mom, is daddy MAD? 
Me: No, he's just teaching people about God.  Lol!

Driving through the snowy weather on the way to church
RJ: Mom, how does the snow come?  Why is it sometimes snowy and sometimes rainy?
Me: Lengthy description of solids vs. liquids, weather temperatures, and something about rain picking up dust particles and falling as snow (mental note to review grade 4 geography lesson)
RJ: So when snow melts it becomes rain??? 
MJ: No, RJ, ice melts and becomes rain
RJ: But where does the dust come from?  Is it like the dust in our house that I clean with the duster? (one of the chores he has helped with)
MJ: No, the water gets cold and is ice, and cold and is snow...
Me:..... ???.... I don't have the mental energy for this today... lol...

Sitting at the table for lunch, and talking about nothing in particular.
RJ: Mom, is Santa Clause really for real????
Me: ?????????????????????

As you can see, they keep me on my toes, not just physically but mentally too!  Which you can see by how little I post, shows my lack of mental energy.  By the time they're in bed, my brain is just DONE and can no longer handle explaining or processing much of anything.  Still though, it's pretty cool to see them growing this way! 



1 comment:

  1. LOL I love that the technology of today allows Moms to share the conversations they have or overhear from their kids. Their questions and observations really do show how their little minds are absorbing so much so quickly. And the tough questions come way too quickly! And some of those questions, like about Santa, really force you to make decisions about what you are going to teach them, or even what you believe about things yourself. So parents are growing as much and as fast as their kids. No wonder you are brain fogged! Thanks for sharing, Sara-Lynn

    ReplyDelete