Saturday 14 April 2018

Saturday musings

Today my thoughts are whimsically floating this way and that, and I can't figure out what to sit down and write about.

It is the end of the day.  I am sitting with a glass of wine, a sweet potato Paleo brownie, and a pile of folded laundry surrounding me.  Today was a "deal-with-it" day.  The house needed to be cleaned, the laundry needed to be washed, the fridge needed to be stocked, and the day was mostly rain-free, which meant we had to take the opportunity to work in the yard before it rains again.  It was a FULL day.  I am wiped.  I am content.


Right now the Canadian Forces Snowbirds and CF-18 are doing Spring training here in Comox.  Twice a day we get to watch our own air show as they fly overhead and practice formations.  The CF-18 is loud!  When it passes right over us, our house shakes and is filled with the noise.  I remember when the kids were babies we had to adjust their naptime since the fly-bys would wake them up.  Now it is such a treat for the boys to see!  Last night I dreamt all night about the CF-18.  You know you are a mom of boys when...  lol.

In the next few months we will be saying goodbye to a close friend of ours who has been staying with us for the past little while.  He's moving on to bigger and better things.  It has had me thinking, though, of all the people who have passed through the humble doors of our abode.  When we bought our home, Comox was in a housing boom.  The market was flooded!  We came one weekend and looked at 20 houses at least, all in our price range in this area.  There was just 2 of us and a dog back then, so we hadn't planned to buy such a large house, but with the prices, we couldn't resist.  We ended up with a good ol' BC box (as they say) with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  The layout was just right that we have all we need upstairs and the downstairs could be separated out for room and board.


So, just a few weeks after we moved in, we started hosting International students.  Now the stories I have about that can go on and on... but suffice it to say, our house has been well lived in!  We have had around 20 students come and go through our doors, and have been able to host friends and family needing a place to stay for a while.  I do enjoy my privacy and space, so I have to admit this has been challenging at times, but it also has filled our lives with such richness.  We've learned about ourselves, and expanded our horizons through the lives of others.  The friends who have stayed with us really have become family.   It's been nearly 8 years in this house and I can say with certainty that it has been a HOME.  There is nothing sweeter than home.


No comments:

Post a Comment